How Far We Have Come
Because I had some issues with setting up my service learning I had to switch to a different school. I am now working with a neurotypical fourth grade class at Forbes Elementary School and it is wonderful! And in getting to know my students further, I cannot explain how grateful I am for the countless people of history who took the effort to fight against discrimination and segregation in schools.
There is a great amount of support for English Learners in the classroom I am working in. There is one boy in the class who speaks Spanish as a first language so he has had to learn English and because of the extra help and programs there are for him in and outside the classroom he has improved immensely. This support comes from many legislative acts and decisions, but the main one in my opinion is the No Child Left Behind Act which has now been updated to the Every Student Succeeds Act. These acts have allowed any child from any background, culture, or of any race to receive an education where and at what level they want to. The updated Act (ESSA) has updated the curriculum so that students who are considered minorities are truly challenged to succeed just like those who are considered majorities. This has allowed this boy in my class this wonderful opportunity and I am so grateful!!
My classroom is also impacted greatly by Brown v. Board of Education. There are many students of different races and cultures in my classroom and this court ruling allows for them to be considered as equals to the other students in the classroom, which is so wonderful!! It is so incredibly amazing how far our country has come since the time of segregation and extreme discrimination. Granted, we still have a long way to go. But I cannot express enough gratitude for these acts in allowing all of the students in my classroom the opportunity to gain an education in the school they want to.
There is a great amount of support for English Learners in the classroom I am working in. There is one boy in the class who speaks Spanish as a first language so he has had to learn English and because of the extra help and programs there are for him in and outside the classroom he has improved immensely. This support comes from many legislative acts and decisions, but the main one in my opinion is the No Child Left Behind Act which has now been updated to the Every Student Succeeds Act. These acts have allowed any child from any background, culture, or of any race to receive an education where and at what level they want to. The updated Act (ESSA) has updated the curriculum so that students who are considered minorities are truly challenged to succeed just like those who are considered majorities. This has allowed this boy in my class this wonderful opportunity and I am so grateful!!
My classroom is also impacted greatly by Brown v. Board of Education. There are many students of different races and cultures in my classroom and this court ruling allows for them to be considered as equals to the other students in the classroom, which is so wonderful!! It is so incredibly amazing how far our country has come since the time of segregation and extreme discrimination. Granted, we still have a long way to go. But I cannot express enough gratitude for these acts in allowing all of the students in my classroom the opportunity to gain an education in the school they want to.
Comments
Post a Comment